We know that transfer students have worked hard to get here and we will work with you to make your transition to Mason a positive experience.
Mason takes pride in the academic rigor that makes us All Together Different. We want to make sure that you get the credit for the work you’ve completed while maintaining the academic standards Mason is known for.
The Office of Admissions is responsible for awarding undergraduate transfer credit and completes course-by-course transfer credit evaluations for all admitted transfer students.
We have developed an extensive list of tools and resources to help you understand the credit transfer process.
Transfer Credit Inquiry Form
Use the Transfer Credit Inquiry Form if you believe eligible transfer credits are missing from your evaluation. This includes credit by exam such as AP, IB or CLEP.
Before submitting this form, be sure you have requested official, final transcripts be sent from the Registrar at your previous institution to Mason’s Office of Admissions, or electronically to email@example.com, and that you have read and understood the criteria for credit acceptance.
Transfer Credit Re-Evaluation Appeal Form
Use the Transfer Credit Re-Evaluation Appeal Form if you were awarded elective credit for a course and wish to have it re-evaluated by the academic unit to transfer in as a specific Mason course.
To appeal, please follow these steps:
- Fill out the first page of the form
- Send the entire form and any supporting documents, such as syllabi, to the Director of Undergraduate Programs at the academic unit from which you are requesting credit (ex. if you are requesting a History course, go to the GMU History Department web page and look up the Director of Undergraduate Programs under “Contact Us”.)
- The academic department will evaluate the appeal request and make a decision:
- If the appeal is denied, the academic department will contact you directly.
- If the appeal is approved, the academic department will send the form to the Office of Admissions Transfer Credit team, and you will be notified when your student record has been updated and is visible in PatriotWeb and DegreeWorks.
For courses denied any equivalency, including elective credit, contact your advisor to determine if your course meets criteria for a substitution or waiver through the Office of the Registrar.