Undergraduate Policies and Terms

A full list of undergraduate admissions policies and terms are available in the university catalog.

Student Conduct

Mason is committed to providing an inclusive and safe living, learning, and working environment for all members of our community.

As a condition of enrollment, all admitted students are required to answer questions regarding conduct and felony history prior to submission of the enrollment deposit for undergraduate students or the enrollment confirmation for graduate students.

Every admitted student is informed of this requirement in the admission notification. Please note that your enrollment is contingent upon a review of any pending felony charge(s) or felony conviction record you may have. We also require successful completion of your current academic program and exemplary personal conduct between now and your enrollment at Mason.

The admissions committee expects that you will maintain both your current academic performance and a record of exemplary personal conduct. Failure to do so may result in a rescission of your offer or other restrictions being placed on your admission.

Why does the University wait until I am ready to enroll to ask about my criminal history record?

The University is committed to treating all applicants with conduct or criminal history records fairly and respectfully. We holistically review admission applications with a primary focus on academics. Admitted students with pending felony charges or those who have been convicted of a felony offense who wish to enroll are referred to the University Enrollment Conduct Committee (UECC). These students are required to provide an explanation of the offense(s) and are subject to additional screening.

How long does the University Enrollment Conduct Committee (UECC) review process take?

On average, the UECC review process takes three weeks once all documentation has been received from the student.

Should I submit information related to any previous misdemeanors?

The UECC considers all relevant information gathered during its review. You may choose to include that information in your personal statement.

Can I submit additional documents for my case other than what has been requested by the UECC?

Students are welcome to submit supporting documents that would be helpful in the review of their case.

What if I answer in error to any questions?

Please contact admrev@gmu.edu to indicate your error. You will be given another opportunity to answer the disclosure questions.

Can I appeal the UECC decision?

The decision of the UECC is final. Students are welcome to reapply for a future term if additional information is relevant to their case. If no new information is presented, the original decision will be upheld.