China 1+2+1

The CHEPD China 1+2+1 program was established by the China Center for International Education Exchange (CCIEE) and the American Association of State College and Universities (AASCU). George Mason University joined the program in 2004. Undergraduate students in the program earn degrees from both their Chinese and American Universities.

To learn more about the China 1+2+1 program or join the China 1+2+1 program, please visit CCIEE’s website:

George Mason University Contact:

Link to China 1+2+1 Brochure

Prospective Students

Thank you for your interest in George Mason University and the China 1+2+1 Program!

Mason at A Glance:

George Mason University is Virginia’s largest and most diverse public research university. Located near Washington, D.C., Mason enrolls more than 38,000 students from 130 countries and 50 states. Mason has grown rapidly over the past half-century and is recognized for its innovation, entrepreneurship and commitment to provide academic opportunities for students of all backgrounds. Mason offers more than 80 majors in 10 different colleges for undergraduate students.

Want to see Mason’s campus? Take a virtual tour!

Admissions Requirements:

Applicants must have a minimum average score of 70/100 in all classes during high school and the first semester of college

To apply for China 1+2+1 program, contact your university’s international office to make sure your university participates in China 1+2+1 program.

Admitted Students:

Congratulations on your admission to Mason. We are thrilled to welcome you to the Mason Nation!

Important Next Steps

  1. Please refer to your admissions materials and make sure to complete all the items on your admissions checklist by the deadlines.
  2. Make sure your official TOEFL or IELTS scores are received by Mason’s admission office by July 15. If you do not meet the English language requirements before you arrive, you will take a placement test when you arrive and start in the INTO Mason program:
  3. Create a Patriot Pass Account through to access online Mason systems. Select the first option: "To activate your Patriot Pass account..." and follow the instructions to create a secure password. You will need a CLAIM CODE which is your 6 digit birthdate as MMDDYY (ex: July 6, 2001 would be 070601). If you have difficulty registering your account, contact ITS Support Center at
  4. Activate your MasonLive email account by following these instructions:
  5. Review the Office of International Programs and Services (OIPS) website before arriving at Mason:

Housing, Health Insurance, and Orientation

  • Housing: All China 1+2+1 students are required to live on campus during the first year of study. Your residence hall will be open during winter break. You can choose to live off campus after the spring semester of your first year.
  • Insurance: All F-1 and J-1 visa students are automatically enrolled into the Mason Student Health Insurance Plan which is required by Federal law and University Policy #6002. For more information about your insurance, please check
  • Orientation Week: The first week at Mason is orientation week. A detailed schedule will be provided before your arrival at Mason.

Current Students:

The list of resources below have been useful for previous China 1+2+1 students. They are divided into general student services and academic resources.

Student Services

Academic Resources

  • ADVISING: If you have questions about your classes or degree plan, contact your academic advisor. Find your advisor here:
  • INTERNSHIPS: If you are trying to find an internship and want to explore your career options, please use schedule an appointment with Career Services:
  • LEARNING SERVICES: If you need help with academic issues, including study skills, time management strategies, or understanding US classrooms, you can meet with an academic success coach or attend a workshop:
  • LIBRARY: If you need assistance finding academic sources for your research, ask a Librarian at the Mason Library:
  • STUDY ABROAD: If you are interested in taking courses or completing an internship in another country, during a break or a full semester, contact the Global Education Office:
  • TUTORING: If you need help in one of your classes, many departments on campus provide tutoring services:
  • WRITING CENTER: If you would like someone to help you write a paper or do a proof reading, visit he Writing Center:

Graduating Students:

Completing your Program and Returning to China

  • At the end of your program, you will complete a “Degree Completion Plan.” This form will be provided to students in their last semester in the US and must be signed by an academic advisor.
  • Students in some majors can transfer up to 9 credits from their Chinese University to complete Mason degree requirements. Please check with the China 1+2+1 Academic Coordinator or your Academic Advisor to see if this applies to you. Courses that have been previously approved for each university are provided in the China 1+2+1 Blackboard group.
  • Before you leave Mason, make sure that you don’t have any holds, and that you don’t owe the university any money.


  • Do NOT apply for graduation on your own. The China 1+2+1 Office will apply for Mason graduation on your behalf once we receive confirmation of your graduation date in China. Please let us know immediately if your anticipated graduation date in China changes.
  • Once you have graduated in China, the Mason China 1+2+1 Office must receive a copy of your diploma and graduation certificate from your Chinese University. You will not graduate from Mason until it is received.
  • Mason awards diplomas in May, August, and December. Most China 1+2+1 students will be August graduates if they graduate in June or July in China.
  • Mason diplomas for August graduates will be mailed to your in China in October. For graduation timelines for other terms, please check the Registrar’s website:
  • If you need enrollment or graduation verification before you receive your diploma, please contact the Academic Coordinator (

Faculty and Advisors

Brief Introduction of China 121 Program

Mason joined the CHEPD China 1+2+1 program in 2004. Since that time, 370 students in the program have graduated from Mason, many with honors. Until 2018, China 1+2+1 students were restricted to a limited list of potential majors. Since then, students have been able to declare any undergraduate major which means more faculty and advisors will interact with these students in the future.

These students are degree-seeking international students who transfer to Mason after their first undergraduate year in China. They are expected to complete all degree requirements for both Mason and their Chinese university. Some of the Mason requirements may be fulfilled with transfer credits from their first year or final year in China, but generally, students will complete most of their degree during their 2-3 years in Fairfax. Some students start their program at INTO Mason if they need additional English training, which may add time to their program.

Common Student Requests

Because students have a limited time to complete their degree, academic advising and degree planning will be very important. As an advisor, here are some of the requests you may receive:

  • After their first year courses are evaluated by Transfer Services, students may approach advisors about transfer re-evaluation appeals, substitution waivers, and credit overrides (i.e. allowing a 2-credit course to fulfill a requirement).
  • During subsequent semesters, they will likely ask for registration overloads to take more than 18 credits in a semester.
  • If they need to extend their visa and stay on campus longer than 2 years, they will need an advisor’s signature on their program extension form from OIPS. Their Chinese university may also require an advisor’s verification of the extension.
  • As they approach the end of their program, they will require an advisor’s signature on the China 1+2+1 Degree Completion Plan. This same form can be used to approve courses to transfer from their final year in China (up to 9 credits can be transferred if applicable).
  • Lastly, any changes to a student’s major or minor must also be approved by the student’s Chinese University.

If you have questions about any of these requests or other academic issues, please contact the IEP Academic Coordinator (

Contact Us:
Office of International Enrollment Partnerships
East Building 206